A few gents have asked me about skincare, so I decided I need to write a post with some good skincare tips for men. I am going to focus on summer skincare since it’s warmer out. I will delve into winter skincare for you in the fall. I am also going to include products that cater to men of colour as well because depending on the pigmentation of your skin, your skincare needs will vary. Individuals with tan to dark complexions often have different concerns. Also, keep in mind, not all skincare products work well for everyone. It’s important to understand this, and it’s important to get acquainted with your skin, become one with it, this will help you make better decisions on what products will have the most benefits. Below is a few products that I think are worth trying and I sourced products meant for sensitive skin and that are suitable for all (most) skin types.
IT’S TIME TO EXFOLIATE GENTLMEN
It’s amazing how many men don’t exfoliate and I can’t blame them because you don’t know what you don’t know. In addition, 9 out of 10 skincare commercials or adverts are geared towards women. Everyone should exfoliate, men included. It’s important to slough off dead skin cells as your skin regenerates to reveal a smooth complexion. Just like women, men have similar skin concerns such as age spots, hyperpigmentation, dry skin, oily skin and acne. Exfoliating also helps your skin to better absorb the oils and moisturizers you put on it.
What to look for
Look for an exfoliant that is gentle enough for daily use. You definitely shouldn’t exfoliate everyday, it’s not necessary. I would say about two to three times a week depending on your skin type. Those with sensitive skin should keep it simple, either once or twice a week max! The reason why I recommend a product that’s geared towards daily use is that the grains, I prefer walnut or rice grain based exfoliants, are small and gentle therefore they won’t tear your skin like some face scrubs on the market. Dermatoligica’s Daily Mircofoliant, is a gentle daily scrub that a lot of people use every morning or night.
Please do not scrub your face! It’s a gentle process gentleman. In addition, don’t be afraid to use a product that the ladies are using…seriously. I am going to include one of my favourite brands that I use below. For men of colour or who have scaring or hyperpigmenation or want an overall brighter complexion I think you will appreciate this daily dermexfoliant by Eminence Organic Skincare. To reveal a smooth and bright complexion exfoliating is one of the key components in your skincare regimen.
Face Bomb is a deep cleansing mud facial scrub. It’s geared towards all skin types, even those with sensitive skin. If you are super sensitive always do a patch test on the back of your arm where the skin is a little more delicate. If you have a reaction, then you know there’s a possibility your face may have a bad reaction. I haven’t heard any complaints about this product, only good things.
Why is it so good?
- It is composed of Rhassoul mud – a natural clay that is anti-bacterial and mineral-rich.
- Sandalwood oil (very soothing for irritated skin)
- Hydrosol of Wild Geranium
- Demascus Rose (floral waters) – I love rose-water, I use it everyday!
- Finely ground walnut shells – remember I told you that walnut shells or rice finely ground are rock star ingredients because both ensure gentle exfoliation.
I can’t say enough good things about this brand. I use quite a few of their products. I recommended their Clear Skin Probiotic Masque last year. I love the Strawberry Rhubarb Dermafoliant. It’s one of their best sellers and I see why. I think it’s a great product for men as well and it’s very gentle. If you have really sensitive skin this might be a good exfoliant match for you.
Why is it so good?
- Strawberry – cleanser & astringent.
- Salicylic acid – gently exfoliates & removes impurities to brighten skin’s appearance. It also shrinks the appearance of pores
- Rhubarb: a good source of ascorbic acid & vitamins to fight the look of wrinkles
- Lactic Acid: sloughs off dead skin cells to improve texture of skin – which is what you want!
- Rice: gentle exfoliant; buffs and smoothes skin texture
- Chickpea Flour: tightens the look of pores; absorbs excess oil and helps to buff and smooth skin’s appearance
- Thermal Mud: contains high amounts of mineral trace elements and sulfur to improve and support the skin’s appearance
- Oats: deeply cleanse and smooth
- BioComplex™: a booster of antioxidants, vitamins, Coenzyme Q10, and Alpha Lipoic Acid to reduce the appearance of wrinkles and improve the appearance of skin
FACE MASQUES ARE SO MANLY
You don’t have to go to the spa to take advantage of a good face masque or secretly borrow it from your partner. There is nothing wrong with a man who likes to take care of his skin and pamper it with a good face mask. In fact, I encourage you to indulge in this relaxing facial ritual that will leave your skin nice and smooth. Before you apply a face mask make sure you exfoliate first, cleanse and then apply a mask of choice while your skin is still damp. I find this method is a lot more effective. As I mentioned above the Eminence Clear Skin Probiotic Masque is amazing. Keep in mind masks should only be used once or twice a week; don’t over do it. I think it’s good to go for a hydrating mask that draws out impurities (great for those with acne and blackheads), brightens skin but at the same time doesn’t dry it out. Look for one geared towards sensitive skin if you plan to use it weekly. Only use a stronger mask (there are some really good ones) monthly.
This is another his and her product. I chose something super gentle and suitable for all skin types. This mask is quite soothing and great for those with problem or sensitive skin. It won’t dry out your skin and it brightens and even-out skin tone. Our goal is to give you a smooth complexion and heal any scaring or discolouration. Alchimie has a great skincare line, this is one of the products I often recommend.
Why is it so good?
- Soothe, protect, and brighten dull skin.
- Oats – soften skin, nourishes
- Wild pansies – speed recovery & calm irritation.
- Resveratrol from grape extracts – protect skin from environmental stress
- Blueberry – reduces facial redness
- Vitamin E
- Recommended after cosmetic procedures
It’s never a good idea to use products that dry your skin out. Even those with oily skin should avoid harsh products. Keep in mind the drier your skin the more sebum it produces and this just defeats the purpose if you have naturally oily skin. In fact most people with oily skin actually suffer from dry or dehydrated skin, your skin is responding to this. Remember to drink lots of water and look for cleanser that will balance out the oils in your skin. You want a balanced skin environment. Proper hydration, a good diet and good skincare products will help you get the skin you desire. I have mentioned Cetaphil as well, it’s unisex and it’s available at your local drugstore. It’s an amazing gentle cleanser. You can use it without water as well.
Schaf is a natural skincare brand that makes products that are silicone, sulfate and paraben free. Their hydrating cleanser is suitable for him and her. Ladies love it when you have a cleanser that they can use so keep this in mind if you’re in a relationship or dating. A nicely stocked bathroom is bonus points! This cleanser contains aloe and cucumber, two ingredients that are quite soothing and nourishing. This cleanser is suitable for all skin types (if you’re super sensitive do a skin patch test, it’s great for sensitive skin but everyone is different).
Why is it so good?
- Aloe Barbadensis (Aloe Leaf) Juice* – clear and reduce acne, brighten and soothe skin, heal scars
- Leuconostoc/Radish Root Ferment Filtrate** – natural antimicrobial, moisturizing benefits, heals scars and skin irritations
- Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract (Chamomile) – soothes eczema, skin rashes and scaring
- Mixed Tocopherols (Vitamin E) – heals, repairs and regenerates
- Cucumis Sativus (Cucumber) Extract – fade pigmentation, tighten pores, amino acids, repair, vitamin A, C, E and K. Vitamin E
- 100% Natural Fragrance
You may remember that I featured a few moisturizers for men. You can take a look at the one’s that made my list here. After cleansing it’s important to moisturize particularly during colder months but this still applies during the summer as well. For those who find moisturizers a little heavy or feel they create an unwanted sheen on their face (esp if your skin is a little more on the oily side) you can opt for a light oil that will absorb quickly while at the same time nourish your skin.
This is a another great product by Jack Black. I featured the JB Protein Booster Serum on here as well. The Epic Moisture Oil is a nourishing oil that’s a great addition to your skincare regimen and it’s multi-purpose (face, hair and body). You can use the oil during the day and the serum at night. Or just use the oil for both day and night post cleansing.
Why is it so good?
- Argan Oil – antioxidant, hydrating, soothing
- Moringa Seed Oil – Anti-aging
- Marula Seed Oil – soothes redness
- Watermelon Seed Oil – replenishes
- Plum Seed Oil – moisture and protection
- Baobab Seed Oil – Repair and renew
- Olive Fruit Oil – Soothe irritation, hydrate
- Grape Seed Oil – brightens and calms redness
- Jojoba Oil – Heals and great for acne
- Rice Bran Oil – Antioxidant, skin protection
PROTECT YOUR FACE
After all of that hard work, you’ve cleanse, masqued, exfoliated and moisturized you still need to make sure you are protecting you skin from the UV rays. A good spf is in order, but not just any SPF, look for one that’s not loaded with the bad stuff. You want to protect your skin and not layer it with products that are filled with toxins. As we know your skin is the largest organ and it absorbs what you put on it.
I discovered this brand a few years ago at Sephora. Currently I am using their Wild Rose skin oil, it’s magic in a bottle. I knew I had to try their sunblock and I am glad I did. It’s light and doesn’t feel heavy on your skin. Most people apply sunscreen after their moisturizer so the last thing you need is something heavy. Don’t worry it won’t clog pores!
What is it so good?
- It contains yogurt which is a great soothing ingredient particularly for those who like to be in the sun a lot
- Rice and Camapu Extract: deep hydration, calming & soothe skin during sun exposure
- Jojoba Oil: moisturize
- Provitamin B5: reduce inflammation, support natural cell regeneration.
- Avobenzone 3%, Homosalate 15%, Octinoxate 6.5%, Octisalate 5%, and Octocrylene 10%
When I sourced these products, I wanted to include brands I use. I also kept in mind men of colour as well. I wanted to pick products that are versatile and brands that offer a large selection of products that cater to your individual needs. Just take a look at their sites, you will see that there is more for you to choose from. The products listed are meant to target most of your concerns: hyper-pigmentation, acne, dryness, balancing oil production, sensitive skin and overall look and feel. Even if your skin isn’t super sensitive you can benefit from using products that are gentle and nourishing. What you put on your skin should improve it and help combat any conditions as listed above.
The above products a free of harsh toxins and chemicals often found in a lot of skincare products. Some of them may cost a little more than a drugstore brand but you pay for what you get. There’s nothing wrong with investing in yourself, particularly your skin.
Please let me know if you have any questions.