These are the easiest doughnuts to make. They are light and fluffy and simply delicious. Make them this weekend, you will thank me later!. I used vegan chocolate chips in this recipe.
- 2 cups of flour
- 1 tbsp of baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 eggs
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup of Silk vanilla almond milk for coffee
- Half a stick of butter
- ½ cup of vegan chocolate chips
- 2 cups of Avocado oil (or frying oil of your choice)
- Mix flour, baking powder and salt in one bowl.
- In another bowl beat eggs, lemon, vanilla, melted butter and Silk vanilla almond milk for coffee.
- Combine wet ingredients with dry ingredients. Slowly mixing until well mixed together to form a sticky dough consistency.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- PRE-HEAT 2 cups of avocado oil in a medium sized pot until oil begins to bubble. Then turn down to medium heat. Oil should be hot before turning down to medium heat.
- To avoid overcooking the outside and having a raw centre scoop out small doughnuts.
- Use two spoons to scoop doughnuts into oil.
- Scoop with one spoon and use the other spoon to gently remove dough from the base spoon into the oil.
- The top spoon should be turned with the bottom/base of the spoon facing you and the tip of the spoon should be able to push the dough off the spoon used for scooping. Repeat this process until your batter is finished.
- Depending on the size of your pot, fry no more than 5 to 6 small doughnuts at a time turning with a spatula as they begin to brown.
- Doughnuts should be golden brown.
- Place cooked doughnuts in a bowl lined with paper towel to drain off excess oil.
- To check if your doughnut is cooked insert a toothpick in the centre, the toothpick should come out clean.
If you use a sweetened milk you may want to skip the sugar, depending on the sweetness desired.
Use an oil that's meant for frying, do not use olive oil or coconut oil. Pick an oil like avocado oil or grapeseed oil - both have a high smoke point .
The Brunch Collection’s Brunch Y’all Mugs and Tees are available at The Things Shop.
Cover Image: © The Things I Wish I Knew