I hope you had a great weekend. I hope Superbowl Sunday was a great one for you. Nothing beats football, good food and quality time with friends and family. You’re probably feeling pretty sluggish, some of you hung-over as well. So I think this is the perfect time for me to introduce to you The Things I Wish I Knew – Be Well addition. I want to share with you all the things I do to stay healthy. You will get insight into my daily routine. No secrets. A full-view of the kinds of vitamins and supplements I take and the workouts I do. I will also feature interviews with health and wellness experts. I will also share with you great books that you should add to your wellness routine. Remember, it’s important to feed the mind and body. I think 2016 will be a great year, maybe not perfect but life is what you make it. Design your own life because things aren’t given to you; you have to work for it. I want to help you get on track this year. In fact, I am sure we can help each other.
So it’s Monday, you are dreading it because it’s back to work. I don’t dread Mondays, or really any day of the week. I think each day is a blessing and an opportunity to make things happen. It’s all about perspective and if you change the way you look at things; they will change for the better. It’s time to get excited about Monday; positive everyday. Also keep in mind, you spend a lot of your life at work for the most part. From Monday to Friday you wake-up early and get to work. Don’t waste your days dreading being alive. Don’t spend the 52 Mondays you are afforded with this year and in this life not cherishing each moment. So take a deep breath, say yes to living the best life possible. Thank you Monday!
GET ENERGY ALL DAY
If you want to maintain your energy levels throughout the day there are other ways to do this without 3 cups of coffee. Keep in mind, you should stop drinking your last cup of coffee no later than 2pm if you want to get a good nights sleep. A good way to keep consistent energy levels is with the consumption of high-octane fuel.
- High Octane Fuel (Superfoods): foods that allow your body to expend more energy, in other words more mileage. It’s like filling a tank, instead the tank is your body. Some of these superfoods include: Beets, Spirulina, Leafy Greens, Mango, Cantaloupe, Berries, Salmon, Nuts, Oatmeal, Whole grains, Citrus fruit, Sweet potatoes, Chlorella.
It’s Morning Y’all
Don’t skip breakfast but before you put anything in your mouth, drink a glass of water with a bit of lemon or lemon oil (less abrasive than fresh lemon on your enamel). If you decide to use lemon oil make sure it’s suitable for consumption and from a well sourced brand. I currently use fresh lemon. I will source a good lemon oil for you since I plan to switch from juice to oil to protect my teeth.
Next on your agenda, eat a balanced breakfast that includes some form of protein. This will help you keep your energy level up until lunch. In addition, protein staves off hunger longer. Therefore, no double breakfast (the donut at 10am!)
- Try almond butter on whole-grain/gluten-free toast or a smoked salmon with a scrambled egg. Avocado on toast is another good one (also a great snack)
- Quinoa oatmeal (so good) with goji berries, cocao nibs and maca powder, sweeten with a touch of honey. I add 1/3 cup of warm almond or coconut milk.
- A smoothie: Morning Double Chocolate Frappuccino – you can also have this as a late afternoon snack as well or to replace that extra cup of coffee. I will put more smoothie recipes on the site for you in the coming weeks.
Afternoon Pick Me Up
- No it’s not coffee. But you will appreciate this alternative just as much. I am currently obsessed with Greens+ Extra Energy formula, cappuccino flavoured. I get the coffee taste I crave and energy boost, but it’s a natural boost that’s designed to increase energy and vitality. I have been using Greens+ for a few years now. I don’t drink as much coffee anymore, maybe only two cups a week so this cappuccino flavour is a great addition to my routine. Here is a great frappuccino recipe -> here.
Do Something Active
If you can’t make it to the gym after-work, I know it’s dreaded Monday lol. At least try and do something once you get home.
- 3 minute plank intervals – 1 minute then rest, do some burpees, and the other ones I mentioned below
- 10 burpbees ( I hate them but it’s a full body workout)
- 1 minute skipping ( you can buy a rope anywhere)
- 20 jump lunges (stand with you feet together, lunge your left foot back then feet together jump, then the next side until you get to 20). Add light weights if you’re comfortable. I use 5lb or 7lb weights.
- Final stretch – it’s important to stretch after you workout. Try to stretch everyday, particularly if you spend a lot of time sitting. You can find good stretches online.
Do a total of 2 to 3 sets. Even one is something and you can work your way up. Come up with your own program. I call it the lazy day program when you know you don’t want to go to the gym. It’s a quick 25 minute workout you can do when you’re in a time crunch. Just 25 minutes!
Remember, while at work to get up from your seat at least every 90 minutes. Go get some water or take a lap around the office. I remember in my retail days although you stand all day you would get two fifteen minute breaks in addition to your lunch break. Make sure you take breaks throughout the day.
I hope the tips I have given you get you into a Monday state of mind.
Cover Image Courtesy of: © The Things I Wish I Knew