I can’t imagine life without this delicious fruit, avocado (yes it’s a fruit). I am an avocado lover for life. I think it’s important to fuel your body with food that nourishes it in a loving way. The only person who can love you entirely is you. A good way love yourself is through eating well. As you know, you are what you eat. So eat the good stuff, food that will keep your skin glowing and your body strong and healthy.
Avocado is a good fat. We need to learn not to fear the good fats. Good fats are good for your body; avocado is one of them and it’s good for you in so many ways. Since February is the love month and I am all about love I thought I would feature great recipes that use avocados. Avocados are indeed Canada’s favourite superfood. Canadians consumer 250 millions (I know!) avocados a year! So much love!
Did you know:
- Avocados From Mexico make up 80% of the avocados consumed in Canada
- There are good oil fats in avocados – monounsaturated fat and polyunsaturated fat – aid the body in absorbing nutrients from other foods and help to lower cholesterol.
- Otherwise known as, “green gold”, avocados contain nearly 20 vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients
- 1 ripe Avocado from Mexico, cubed 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon crushed cashews
- 1⁄4 garlic clove, grated
- 1 tablespoon teriyaki sauce
- 1 pinch chili powder
- 1 teaspoon marinated ginger
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 2 eggs beaten in 1⁄4 cup of water 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- Sufficient amount of cooking oil
- Lime & Soy Sauce Mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lime zest
- 1⁄4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- In a mixing bowl, blend the avocado with the oil, sesame seeds, cashews, garlic, chili powder, ginger and teriyaki sauce. Shape the mixture into balls and place in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, roll the avocado balls in the flour, then in the beaten eggs and finally in the breadcrumbs. Return to the freezer for 30 minutes or until ready to serve.
- Preheat the oven to 300 ̊F.
- Remove the croquettes from the freezer. Heat the oil to 350 ̊F and deep fry the avocado croquettes for 3 minutes. Place in the oven at 300 ̊F for 5 minutes. Season with salt and serve with the lime & soy sauce mayonnaise.
- Lime & Soy Sauce Mayonnaise: Blend all of the ingredients and spoon into a small serving dish.
Thanks to Avocados from Mexico I will be sharing a few recipes created by chefs all month. So you know it will be delicious. Being creative in the kitchen isn’t as hard as you may think it is. Once, you try some of these love month avocado inspired recipes. I am sure your inner chef will be ready to make some new and tasty eats.
February is for lovers and I hope you make that special someone food for the soul and heart.